Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I love Sunday: 5 things

I missed updating 5 things on sunday. Thankfully, the novelty hasn't run out since Sunday and here are the few things that make me happy.
  • My latest baby came in a few days ago. This is the Voigtländer Vito CD. Made in Germany, 1960. This is my favourite brand of vintage cameras and I admire German quality because the camera is fully functioning as you read this right now!

  • I love tea. But I miss drinking hot "thé" (French), "chao" (Konkani), "chá" (Portuguese), "chai"(Hindi) with my aunts and grandma on our balcão /verandah at home. 
  • Loved this! Move over Amélie, another masterpiece is taking your place! If you ever get to watch "Intouchables", you'll spend two hours of your life thinking how great mankind is and how happy the world would be if we just looked past our differences. This French comedy film stars two amazing actors, François Cluzet plays the role of a paralyzed Parisian aristocrat, who shocks his entire entourage when he hires a new home help, just out of prison; Omar Sy, inhabitant of the banlieue or ghettos of Paris. This film is based on a true story and it's undoubtedly the feel-good film of the year. French cinema is really begininning to retrace it's steps to glory. Bravo, je dis!

  • Who is this you ask? This is the man who's taking up most of my time these days. Jules Vallès was a French author and journalist, known primarily for pro commune and anti-capitalist combats. So basically I have to finish reading as many of his books as I possibly can and present a 60 page memoir to the validation bureau. I love reading his works but I wish I didn't have the pressure of presenting the memoir so quickly. Somehow takes away the charm of enjoying Parisian novels in Paris! :) 
    • Thanks to Monsieur S., I discovered this devilishly delicious cake called Kouign Amann (which mean literally mean "Butter Cake" in Breton, the dialect spoke in Brittany). The cake originated in 1865 in the town of Douarnenez, in the beautiful finistère region. 

    The dough used for this cake is similar to bread dough except that it has a lot of sugar sprinkled between the layers. Like all foods from Brittany, there's lots and lots of butter too. As the cake bakes, the butter puffs up the dough and the sugar caramalizes creating this magical fusion for all pastry lovers. So yes, damn the diet. Eat what you love. STAY HAPPY!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment