Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Thankgiving in Rouen

My first ever Thanksgiving was such fun. It's an American tradition as we all know and I was happy to be a part of the experience. I'm happy to have such kind American colleagues this year and I felt it was such a kind gesture to include an Indian girl in their festivities. Last year, I knew Americans in Rouen as well but they preferred to keep Thanksgiving as exclusive as they possibly could! I really like what the festival symbolizes. The spirit of sharing and giving thanks. Americans celebrate Thanksgiving (a national holiday), on the fourth thursday in November. In the 17th century, when the first European settlers arrived in America on the Mayflower, winter was really bitter. They wouldn't have survived if the native American tribes has not sheltered them and helped them hunt. The following year the European settlers decided to thank their protectors by sharing the harvest and making merry. So the tradition has continued and last weekend, there were plenty Thanksgiving dinners all across France too. At our dinner, each one contributed some food and I can't cook anything. So I volunteered to wet everyone's appetite with the drinks. The only peculiar thing about our dinner was that we didn't have any Turkey. In fact, we didn't have any kind of meat. Many of my friends are vegetarian and vegan, so the dinner was devoid of animals. I enjoy the meal and I even tasted some new things like cranberry sauce in cereal and pastas with various cheeses. (I know I'm pathetic at describing food and will always be. I've made my peace with that!) I enjoyed the desserts. We had so many macarons, and delicious apple pies and more cheese!
 
The next morning, I took a walk around Rouen and I realized not living here has actually made me appreciate the city even more. Last year, while I lived right in the heart of it, I took it all for granted. As a visitor, I saw how beautiful and charming it really is! I entered the Cathedral after many months and it was as stunning as ever. Only this time I actually stopped to appreciate it and I saw it through the eyes of Monet (who painted it a 100 times before he felt he actually captured it on paper). 
The massive organ which is attached to the ceiling!
Christmas preparations have already begun in France. Streets already have their lights up and the houses even have Santas climbing up the chimney! It puts you in a festive mood too. I'm not going home for xmas this year and it's put me in the dumps. I hate being in a foreign country without any family. I've been having so many problems with my school too and right now I feel as if the whole world hates me! What I would do for a decent home cooked meal :'(

1 comment:

  1. Aww..another learning experience. I've never been alone during a holiday but I completely sympathise with you. May be you can start cooking now - take a recipe from your mom - if it works, you'll get your home-cooked meal. If it doesn't, well, it'll still keep you occupied and distracted. Cooking for me is the best way to take my mind off things. It's either that or playing an instrument.
    I liked that you explained the whole Thanksgiving story - I had never bothered to find out :P It's really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete